Wednesday 1 September 2010

First Woman to vote in Chicago did so with her Feet

Amplify’d from www.todayifoundout.com

Today I found out the first woman to cast a vote in Chicago did so with her feet.

The woman was Kittie Smith.  Smith lost her arms as a child, after having both her arms and hands burned badly on a kitchen stove.  It is unclear exactly how her arms came to be burned so badly so that they needed amputated.  It is thought by many that her father did it intentionally, given his history of alcoholism and abuse of his children, as well as the manner and severity in which she was burned.  However, later in life, Kittie denied this and said it was an accident.  In Kittie’s own words:

Kittie Smith

Kittie Smith: "How I sharpen my lead pencil. How I use shears in cutting paper and cloth. The Position I occupy when I write."

My father was a drinking man and was in the habit of sending his children to a neighboring saloon for liquor, though I was sent more often than any of the others.  I remember tasting of the liquor I carried, and think it was always beer.  In November, 1891, and on the afternoon of Thanksgiving Day, my father and I were alone in the house, my brothers being at play out of doors, and in going about the house, I found a bottle filled with what I afterwards knew must have been whiskey.  Being but a child, I picked up the bottle and drank freely from it; its effect was almost immediate, and I grew weak and stupefied.  My father was in an adjoining room and called to me to go and put some wood on the kitchen fire and I called back that I was sick and could not go, but he insisted and I obeyed.  I had taken the lids from the stove, when, from the combined effect of the heat and the liquor, my whole being gave way and I sank on to the open stove, unconscious.  I must have lain there some time, for the physicians and surgeons said that the bones of my hands and arms were amputated three inches from the shoulders.  I was burned on the neck and on the chest but those burns were not serious.
Kittie Smith

Kittie Smith: "My picture is the one standing at the right. It is not very good of me for I moved. But it is the only picture I have showing my arms, so I value it very highly."

Read more at www.todayifoundout.com
 

No comments: